Friday 16 February 2018

Knitting Short Rows

Sometimes sitting down to learn a knew technique can be a little daunting. I've heard through the old knitting network that people can be intimidated and even put off a pattern if it includes short rows, and to be honest I probably could of been included in this in the past. But I know they are a really important technique to learn, so recently I taught a simple short row class, and in planning it realised that every pattern I have on the needles at the moment Include short rows, infact the majority of everything I knit has them to some degree.



Take the heels in socks, weather it's a traditional Heel flap and gusset or a afterthought heel they all include short row shaping.


These are my free pattern Shorter days, Shortie socks which have a garter stitch short row heel. which are really hard wearing, and to not any more difficult than any other heel turn.



My son Hector has been asking for some bed socks, so I made him these which have a heel flap and gusset which I think stay on little feet better. the wool is from Fying Tiger, so it's easily the cheapest socks I've every made, it's only £1 a ball and I don't think I used half of it, not bad for wool socks, and as you can probably see from this picture they are getting a lot of wear.

You often find short rows in jumper construction either in the back of the neck, to make it higher or on the bottom hem to make it longer at the back. Or like I'm Knitting at the moment, short rows are a great way to shape shoulders rather than having to cast off stitches and have a more staggered look.


I've been wanting for ages to cast on a Stephen west pattern, as you hear so much about how great his patterns are and how interesting the construction is. So I've cast on his Dotted rays shawl. It's pretty simple, very enjoyable so far and is a great example of short row construction. 


But by far the easiest and fun introduction to short rows are all the quick dishcloth patterns you can find. And if you haven't had a go with dishcloth yarn your missing a treat. They are knit on straight needles and its the short rows that make the circular construction.



Here are a couple I've made This week the light one at the back is The Almost Lost Washcloth I knit this in the Rico design cotton, which is so soft and they have great speckles and stripes. The round one at the front is the Crazy eight dishcloth and this is made in Knit picks, Dishie. which is one of my favourites. These are so much fun to make. 

I hope you have a fun time trying something new.
Happy Knitting!!





No comments:

Post a Comment