Saturday 6 February 2016

Holes In The Plot.




Knitting Lace for me has either been a fantastic triumph or a colossal fail. I have many dormant projects that I just can’t face. But I love it, and these packed away nemeses of mine never seem to put me off tackling something new. I think partly because the lace stitches have such great names like; Feather and fan, Fern lace, Indian cross and Ostrich plume. And even the simple stitches look very impressive.


So this week in my knitting class I’ve come up with a really simple pattern to teach my lovely ladies the joys of Yarn over’s.  I’ve chose the not so romantically named, Eyelet lattice insertion stitch, it looks great and it is a really easy introduction to Lace and eyelet stitches.


Fantastic work created in class this Thursday.



So here it is:

HOLES IN THE PLOT- BOOKMARK

What you will Need:
4mm needles
Double knit wool
Wool needle

Abbreviations:
K2tog- knit 2 stitches together
YO- Yarn over, bring yarn to the front as if to purl but knit the following stitch.
S1- slip 1 stitch on to the right hand needle without knitting.
PSSO- pass the slipped stitch over the stitch you have just knitted, as if casting off.


 Let’s Get Started:
Cast on 12 stitches
Row 1 & 2 - Knit all stitches

Lace Pattern - This section is to be repeated 11 times.
Row 3 - K3, (K2tog YO) 3 times, K3
Row 4 - K2, P8, K2
Row 5 - K4, (K2tog YO) 2 times, K4
Row 6 - K2, P8, K2

Row 47 & 48- Knit all stitches
Row 49 - K1, K2tog, K6, K2tog, K1
Row 50 - Knit all stitches
Row 51 - K1, K2tog, K4, K2tog, K1
Row 52 - Knit all stitches
Row 53 - K1, K2tog, K2, K2tog, K1
Row 54 - Knit all stitches
Row 55 - K1, K2tog, K2tog, K1
Row 56 - Knit all stitches
Row 57 - K1, K2tog, K1
Row 58 - Knit all stitches
Row 59 - S1, K2tog, PSSO

Cut yarn, leave approx. 15cm and thread through final stitch.
Make tassel and attach using the15cm thread.

Note:
If you do not want to do the tassel, cast off after Row 48.
The finished bookmark will need blocking, as it does curl up. I simply wet it slightly and put it in between 2 chopping boards and left to dry.

This Pattern is available through my Ravelry page, so if you do have a go please let me see by sharing it on the pattern page

And of course the more adventurous you get you can add a different lace pattern in to the book mark, the eyelet pattern is repeated over 8 stitches, I’ve added 2 knit stitches either side. For example: Row 3- K2, K1, (K2tog YO) 3 times, K1, K2.

Little Fountain lace stitch.


Happy Knitting!

















No comments:

Post a Comment