Tuesday 14 June 2016

Falling In love again.

I’ve realised these last couple of weeks that I have a problem. Over the last 10 years or so that I have been knitting I have become a DK addict. It’s my absolute default. And I have so much of it that there hasn’t been room for much else. My opinion has been that there isn’t much you can’t knit on a good DK yarn and 4mm needles. And I think it’s put me in a slight knitting rut. 


But I’m thrilled to say I’ve come through the other side reborn and refreshed to find a new love of sock and lighter weight yarns. They’ve always made me a little nervous as I thought knitting on such fine yarn would tie me down to long projects. But it isn’t the case, a case in point being my new Mrs. Weasley's Family Socks by A Homespun House – I cast them on and had them blocked in 10 days. 
I did have to make my own sock blockers, which possibly isn’t the best, but I love making things myself if I can. 




I’ve just had such a fun couple of weeks. I’ve discovered some amazing podcasts on YouTube that I’ve been binge watching. And they are so inspiring. Since I spend a lot of my time knitting and working from home, these podcasts provide a great sense of community and open a up a whole world of knitting, with knit-alongs and Ravelry groups. 
Here are some of my favorites: 
The Grocery Girls 
The gentle knitter 
Mandarines 
Knitting in the City 

It’s a joy to sit and watch these with my knitting, taking notes on beautiful yarn brands and with patterns to try. It has led me to spend rather a lot of time (and money) online and on Etsy indulging and exploring all the wonderful independent hand dyers. 
I’ve bought a few skeins 



Viking yarns  - Hand Dyed Sock Yarn - 100% Baby Alpaca Wool in 'Broken Hallelujah'

Viking yarns  - Hand Dyed Sock Yarn - Superwash Merino/Cashmere/Nylon in 'Straw into Gold' 
I love pink geraniums -Hand Dyed, Superwash, Merino, Yarn, Cashmere, Wool, Sport, Sock, 4 Ply, Twisted Cashmere, 


And this wonderful self striping sock yarn from cascade yarns in - 6 Autumn, which I knit my socks in. The cuffs, heals and toes are in a yarn called Millamia. in their Teal. I did have to take the toe out of the first sock to lengthen it a little, but it's a really easy pattern to pick up and I'm really pleased I did, as they fit great now

And I’ve just cast on Hermione’s Everyday Sock, which is a free pattern on Ravelry and looks so pretty, I’m really looking forward to doing the heel which is textured and I’ve not tried a patterned heel before. The Yarn I've used is Bergere de France, Ideal in Girolle which reminded me so much of the marigolds in my garden. the cuff is some really old yarn I had in a beautiful oatmeal.



It’s all very exciting, I thought I better channel my renewed love and enthusiasm into something productive as well as just knitting myself lots of lovely things so I have come up with some more one-off workshops for the Sewing School that I’ll be posting in the next few weeks. 

Also, I’ve just added to Knitting Patterns Galore my ‘spring flowers’ mug cosy and a holes-in-the-plot bookmark. And I wanted to say, ‘Thank you’ if you’ve had a go at knitting these as well as my Beginners’ garter stitch purse. As I seem to be getting a lot of views from them, if you have had a go, I’d love to see what you’ve done so please share them on my Ravelry project pages. You can also follow me now on Instagram - Rosie'sKnits.


I’m off to work on socks now.
Happy Knitting!!

1 comment: